Wednesday, February 15, 2017

"Learn To Embrace Aging".......Oh, come on! Seriously????????

While standing in line at the grocery store check-out awhile back, I glanced at a magazine that boasted an article called "Learn To Embrace Aging."  Really, it actually said that!!  And I thought to myself, what in the world is there to embrace about aging?  And not only that, but why the hell would I want to?  Ok, let's explore this: For me, aging has meant:
1.  Legs that hurt more than they ever have when I sit too long.
2.  Convincing myself that the whole world is mumbling, and not that, just possibly mind you, my hearing could be a little off.
3.  Wanting desperately to get into my jammies around 7:30 pm.
4.  Being cranky about.......well, everything.
5.  Getting disgusted by the way commercials are so sexualized and stupidly annoying.
6.  Hearing myself saying "Why is it always so hot in this house!" or  "It's too cold in here!" on a daily basis.
7.  Wondering if anyone will notice if I cross my legs when I sneeze. (sorry if that's too personal.)
8.  Having to put on a Rod Stewart cd to get psyched up to dust the living room.
I could go on, but clearly you can see where I'm going with this.  I just don't see why anyone would want to embrace aging.  Not to mention the people who are "aging" with things like Dementia, or bone crushing arthritis, or Alzheimers.  Sure, lets embrace that.
The simple fact is: Aging Sucks.  Nothing more, nothing less.  And no offense to anyone who actually IS embracing it.  You deserve a reward for having the maturity that I obviously do not.  There are many people who do a fine job of accepting what is, and accepting 
it in a productive, positive way.  And thats not me. Never has been.  I have a lot to learn about acceptance.
For instance, I have a terrible time accepting the fact that I haven't blogged for months.  How can I possibly list all of my excuses?  So I guess my way of accepting, is to, well...uh.. just move on and pretend I'm right on track.  Deceitful as that may be, it works for me.   Accepting is supposed to be freeing, but personally, I think its over-rated. 
In the mean time, it is my intention to get back to the business of blogging, up-dating my web-site, and filling you in on some big changes coming my way!  So stay tuned!  Now, if you'll please excuse me, I need to put on a Rod Stewart cd and do the dishes. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Laura!

    This is a great post! I agree with you on so many of the aches and pains that come with aging...some just unexplainable or the ones that appear out of nowhere. My energy level is non existent. I hate when I tell myself that my kids can do things because they are young. Or I used to be able to do more when I was young. Ugh...

    That title is terrible. I think rather than embracing age we need to confront it head on and say I'm Getting Tougher! You Age Thing!!

    Thanks for the visit, Laura. Please keep up the writing your blog~~you are so fun!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a hoot! And I was just discussing this topic with the lady checking me out at Michael's this morning. We're with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHMYGOSH!!!! Hi Laura! Thank you for leaving me a comment on my blog so I could backlink (?) to find you! I am your newest follower and going to put you on my sidebar so I don't miss any posts (I read from there). I think you have a wicked sense of humor and we would get along just great.

    Hope you have a wonderful day- Embrace it baby-it's only 24 hours long! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? Where the heck is your followers button? LOL...I will just follow you by pasting your URL into my sidebar thingy....lol Keep posting!!!!

    ReplyDelete