While standing in line at the grocery store check-out awhile back, I glanced at a magazine that boasted an article called "Learn To Embrace Aging." Really, it actually said that!! And I thought to myself, what in the world is there to embrace about aging? And not only that, but why the hell would I want to? Ok, let's explore this: For me, aging has meant:
1. Legs that hurt more than they ever have when I sit too long.
2. Convincing myself that the whole world is mumbling, and not that, just possibly mind you, my hearing could be a little off.
3. Wanting desperately to get into my jammies around 7:30 pm.
4. Being cranky about.......well, everything.
5. Getting disgusted by the way commercials are so sexualized and stupidly annoying.
6. Hearing myself saying "Why is it always so hot in this house!" or "It's too cold in here!" on a daily basis.
7. Wondering if anyone will notice if I cross my legs when I sneeze. (sorry if that's too personal.)
8. Having to put on a Rod Stewart cd to get psyched up to dust the living room.
I could go on, but clearly you can see where I'm going with this. I just don't see why anyone would want to embrace aging. Not to mention the people who are "aging" with things like Dementia, or bone crushing arthritis, or Alzheimers. Sure, lets embrace that.
The simple fact is: Aging Sucks. Nothing more, nothing less. And no offense to anyone who actually IS embracing it. You deserve a reward for having the maturity that I obviously do not. There are many people who do a fine job of accepting what is, and accepting
it in a productive, positive way. And thats not me. Never has been. I have a lot to learn about acceptance.
For instance, I have a terrible time accepting the fact that I haven't blogged for months. How can I possibly list all of my excuses? So I guess my way of accepting, is to, well...uh.. just move on and pretend I'm right on track. Deceitful as that may be, it works for me. Accepting is supposed to be freeing, but personally, I think its over-rated.
In the mean time, it is my intention to get back to the business of blogging, up-dating my web-site, and filling you in on some big changes coming my way! So stay tuned! Now, if you'll please excuse me, I need to put on a Rod Stewart cd and do the dishes.